As an NYC editor, I find it hard to exclude comfort when defining my personal style. If sneakers are appropriate for the occasion, you can always count on me to wear them. I mean, how else do you expect me to run up the stairs at the R train station or spontaneously take that 30-minute walk from point A to point B comfortably? My shoe collection has doubled since I moved to the city, and now running shoes are my most worn sneakers—but not just any running shoes. To no one’s surprise, they all happen to be from New Balance. I like to think of this brand as an NYC staple. I’m wearing a pair of New Balance sneakers 75% of the time and taking notes on which styles strangers are sporting in the city the other 25% of the time. It’s a cult-classic brand that will always be comfortable, stylish, and on-trend, so I decided to style some of its latest running sneaker releases for you below. If you want everyday outfit ideas that you can easily re-create this summer for that model-off-duty look, just keep scrolling.
If I had to name my top five casual outfits for summer, bike shorts and a T-shirt are definitely on the list. The combo makes the perfect base layer for a cool piece of outerwear and does a great job of spotlighting your sneaker of choice. This pair of black Fresh Foam X 1080v12 sneakers has a thick sole that provides soft cushioning and top-of-the-line performance to runners on the track and city dwellers on the crosswalk. (There’s a reason New Balance calls the 1080 its most versatile shoe.) To make the look a bit more polished, I’d throw on a classic black blazer and some silver accessories. Wear this to casual meetings at your local co-working space or for a light bite after a workout class.
Most people can’t properly start their day without a cup (or two) of coffee. This look is for those who wake up immediately craving their drink of choice but don’t have the energy to fully get dressed for the day yet. I’d throw on a pair of stirrup leggings, because they feel more elevated than a typical ankle legging, and a simple gray tank. Adding a pop of color always gives off the impression that you put a lot more thought into the look than you actually did, so the FuelCell Propel v4 sneaker in cosmic rose is a must. It’s designed to maximize comfort and traction, so you can take “coffee run” quite literally and do a few laps in this pair if you want to. Pack your laptop into a shoulder bag, add a matching scrunchie for some flair, and you’re all set.
Dare I say Pilates has taken over the group fitness space? Whether you’re on the reformer, watching an at-home video, or simply trying to give off that post-Pilates look, this outfit works for all of the above. This jumpsuit matches perfectly with the gold-metallic detailing on the Fresh Foam X More v4 sneakers and makes for an easy yet stylish ensemble. This shoe uses the most fresh foam to create that plush, cushioned sole that gives maximum height and comfort. The baseball cap and chunky, gold hoops only add to that sought-after effortless vibe that celebs emanate in their post-workout paparazzi photos. For extra warmth (and style), drape an oversize sweatshirt over your shoulders.
The category is “dopamine dressing,” and let’s just say this look sparks joy. Matching sets were already a staple in my summer wardrobe, but this hot-pink number changed the game. The white button-down brings function and fashion to this eye-catching set. Wear it open on a breezy day, and throw your hair in a claw clip. The bright hue of this set ties in perfectly with the pink detailing on the FuelCell SuperComp Elite v3 sneakers, which are designed not only for running but also for racing. Whether you’re running, racing, or strolling, this look is sure to turn heads and garner compliments.
I’d be lying if I said that I’ve never seen this exact outfit formula in the city before. The parachute pant dominated the trend cycle for a while, and now I consider it a basic in my wardrobe. The oversize fit screams effortless, especially when paired with a simple zip-up top like the one pictured. Every item in this look down to the leather bag and sunnies offers a stylish take on functionality. But the most functional piece is the Fresh Foam X More Trail v3 sneaker. They keep your feet cool, comfortable, and cushioned for long walks on trails or whenever you’ve decided to take the scenic route.